Cefpodoxime is a cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat different types of infections caused by bacteria. It works by interfering with the formation of the bacteria’s cell wall and rupturing it, resulting in the death of the bacteria. Pfizer’s Vantin is one of Pfizer’s bestselling medications overall and, obviously, Pfizer’s bestselling antibiotic medication.
Vantin may also be marketed as: Cefpodoxime, Cefotop, C-Doxim, Simplicef.
Vantin is in a class of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics. It works by fighting bacteria in your body. Vantin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as sinusitis; upper respiratory tract infection; bladder infection; gonococcal infection, disseminated; and tonsillitis/pharyngitis.
Take Vantin with food. Vantin works best if it is taken at the same time each day. To clear up your infection completely, continue using Cefpodoxime for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction:
- breathing difficulties;
- swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- unusual bleeding or bruising;
- cough, wheezing, chest tightness, trouble breathing;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- seizure (convulsions);
- viagra professional;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion, or weakness;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath (even with mild exertion), or
- increased thirst, loss of appetite, urinating less than usual or not at all.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs (especially penicillin). Also tell your doctor if you have kidney disease or a history of intestinal problems.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, call your doctor. Do not use any medicine to stop the diarrhea unless your doctor has told you to.
If you miss a dose of generic Vantin, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at once.
Store Vantin at a controlled room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store it away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store it in the bathroom. Replace the cap securely after each opening. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep cefpodoxime out of the reach of children and away from pets.